Am 25.04.2017 um 11:21 schrieb John Willis:
If I search for a supermarket and you send me to a 7-11, you failed.

Post offices have different scopes in different places, ways we usually separate by tag, because we separate "duckiness" by tag. This varies by region, so we need a way to represent both, and we have existing tags as well. [...] This is not something left to "operator". Brand is for separating similar items - a Burger King vs a McDonalds - not to separate steakhouses from a butcher shop. We are deciding where to draw the lines on scope, like convenience stores, markets, supermarkets, and malls.

I partly agree but when I tag Walmart or Trader Joe's as a supermarket's brand that carries a clear expectation towards the assortment of the store.

The sticky point seems to be that because nationalized post services and commercial courier services are available in different places *beyond* the traditional offices - buying stamps at a gas station, box shops that ship via post and courier systems, etc, that the "amenity" of a location that offers post/courier service is blurred in many places, or the post''s importance in some places has dwindled, relegating it to be a courier. We should be figuring out how to handle assigning the "amenity" of those services (similar to how a hotel has a workout room, but that doesn't make the hotel a gym) to other kinds of businesses, in a way where we can have multiple values. A hotel has parking, a pool, gym, etc, but it is foremost a "hotel" with various amenities. Having a dedicated courier or post office tag isn't so much of an issue - in many places with a traditional post system, it is still different enough to warrant separate tags. it's adding these courier/post options to other businesses or shops that needs to be worked out. Mashing post offices and courier services together is not going to solve that issue nor improve OSM tagging in any appreciable way.

[...]
Having a tagging system to add that onto another shop sounds like that is what people are looking for, if I understand correctly.

At least that is part of it. Along the convenience store supermarket analogy maybe we need something like the amenity=post_office for the traditional ones and an amenity=shipping_services (just a working title) for everything else, not just couriers. That would work at least for the dedicated shops. For the in-shop services provided in kiosks etc. it might be a different tagging.