Javbw

> On May 15, 2017, at 10:28 PM, Tobias Wrede <l...@tobias-wrede.de> wrote:
>
> What you write makes a lot of sense. Just, that a lot of that exactly applies
> to post offices/postal services as well. So why should post_office be an
> amenity and courier a shop? I still suggest to somehow unify post_office and
> courier,

Because the infrastructure is similar to _many businesses_, but the "customer
facing side" of the business - the "post office" - is considered culturally
different.

A dentist is a tooth doctor.
A McDonalds is a restaurant
A convenience store is a market.

But we tag them differently based on cultural separation of different things.
This is difficult sometimes (when is a stream a river?) - but we have to be
flexible to allow for this. Maybe it _is_ tagged all the same and it is
presented differently by the data customer rendering it differently in their
maps, but OSM usually represents these differences in the tag data - the lowest
level - because OSM's issue is getting people to map the "the ground truth",
which requires it to cater to people like me: a noob who is not a data consumer
who wants to map. This requires a tagging system (or very good abstracted
WYSIWYG editors) for the taggers. This means tagging systems should be
noob-compliant as much as possible. Representing cultural differences in the
lowest level of tagging is a good place to start.

~~~~~

I would say a good place to connect courier and the postal services is not at
the office level, but at the service level.

My parents ship packages via a box shop because they don't want to mess up the
customs forms, so they have someone else do it. This box shop ships via many
services, including the USPS.

I would say including them in the service when it goes beyond [amenity=mailbox]
(however you tag a public mail drop box), such as a place that sells parcel
postage and ships it for you:

Name=overpriced box shop
Building=retail
Shop=courier
Courier:service:USPS=yes.
Courier:service:UPS=yes
Courier:service:FedEx=no

The post offices - the culturally separate building - is kept separate, and the
service is tied into the courier system where it is useful.

Tagging the back-end of the post system with the same tags (warehouse=courier)
is probably fine too, but I wouldn't touch "post office" with a 10 foot pole.

Javbw.