The fact that office=courier doesn't attempt to replace post office seems a
step in the right direction.

So let's think of a massive courier - linked a regional or national one.

This combination will vary, but:

"Tag" level - a business that does something else ( a convenience store, a
strawberry farm, a department store) that offers courier service in some
manner. Be it local delivery or international shipping.

"Retail" level:  a shop that is just for people to come in and mail stuff or
pick up something. You see this a lot in the US (the UPS Store) they might
serve several different courtiers as one (a Box shop).

Commercial Level:  a local or regional distribution hub with a retail service
window/office. Tons of delivery trucks and a big warehouse that manages the
local package flow.

Commercial warehouse level - regional sort facilities and staging offices.
These massive shipping distribution warehouses are private and gigantic.

A tiny courier service my just be a guy and his bike.

It may be a box shop shipping all services.

It may be a regional courier with a single commercial distribution hub where
you can still stop by and send packages.

It may be a giant sort facility that is private.

Amenity=* doesn't really cover any of these (unless it is a service offered at
a larger business, like a courier window at the airport) and office=* covers
*even less* - it would cover the corporate offices of these services - but as I
understand office, would not be used to tag any of the other buildings.

You also want to tag some information that is helpful, but not perishable. A
soft facility is always there. A shop that ships your purchases often does so
for a long time. The exact services, pricing, method, times, etc probably often
changes *a lot*. I don't think that is worth mapping - but mapping that a shop
can let you pickup a UPS delivery or let you ship a DHL package at a
convenience store is worth mapping.

You need a "courier" set:

Courier=*
Shop=courier  (a retail location)
Commercial=courier
Warehouse=courier

Courier=yes means there is some courier related services offered, but the
nature is unknown.

Courier:type=

=point
Offers courier services at their shop
=shop
is a retail shop for courier service (or many)
=delivery_centre
(the "last mile" office of some courier services, which have many "local"
delivery centers , rather than having 2-3 large ones for a big city. For
example, there are 30 or more kurokeno centers in Japan for every 1 UPS local
sort warehouse in the US. They are tiny and small and cover maybe 2-4 sq km per
office in suburban areas.)

=local_hub
the main sorting hub for a city or a few towns together.
=regional_hub (for connecting regional)
=national hub (unneeded?)
=international_hub (for international services at an airport or border
facilities on the "inside" of customs.

(Each higher one includes the smaller one; only one needed)
Courier:service:local=yes
Courier:service:regional=yes
Courier:service:national=yes
Courier:service:international=yes

Courier:service:*=purchases they will ship items purchased at their shop (very
common for tourists areas)

For any building where the brand or operator tag is the shipping service:
Courier:ship=yes
Courier:pickup=yes.

For business that offer shipping as an amenity or multiple brands
Courier:__brand__:ship=yes
Courier:__brand__:pickup=yes
For business that do business as a shipping and/or pickup point for a carrier
(like picking up a package at a convenience store).

Courier=regional
Courier=

Javbw