> On Jun 30, 2017, at 6:44 PM, Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>
> For example where pylons cross farmland

I use “tower” because that is the tag:

Power=tower

I know there re many situations where the tower base is wide and tall and and
just sits on the land, not disturbing it. I have driven along 395 in the high
desert, along the power pylons going to Los Angeles. The power poles and
various pylons seem just stuck onto the desert next to a track.

https://goo.gl/maps/pQU3d81MQ3s

I now live north of Tokyo, and it is a forest of pylons going to it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/23075345449/in/album-72157638113676925/

You can see the Tokyo SkyTree 100km away in this very narrow view of north
Tokyo from the north. The large power towers cross the mid-ground.  Out of
frame to the right, these towers merge with a long chain of similar 20 story
tall power towers coming from behind me going to east Tokyo.
These are the largest power towers I have ever seen.

The three closest to my house :

https://goo.gl/maps/nWBMXKJUxnM2
https://goo.gl/maps/Dz27DsroXhC2
https://goo.gl/maps/oPkzFsxf3XU2

- Have solid concrete bases covering he entire area

- have a barbwire topped fence around the base

Now, I know that is not always the case.

There are many towers, large and small, that cross farmland:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091291246/in/album-72157638113676925/

Here is the red-white one in that picture:
https://goo.gl/maps/xSSKN6gbBhD2

Here is a larger one I mapped recently:
https://goo.gl/maps/pQU3d81MQ3s

And another:
https://goo.gl/maps/k43uXE63h5G2

They don’t have a fence nor a 100% concrete base, but the land is still not
used for farming because the water from the rice paddy might damage the
footings AFAIK. The farmers use the base as a place to throw rocks they find in
their field.

Even when mapping in the US, the landuse might be useful. these 2 “tower-poles”
(they are huge steel poles) sit on a small landuse with its own driveway from
the road. The deviation of the fence easily shows that there is land dedicated
just to them. It may be only 5x10m, but that is still a mappable landuse.

https://goo.gl/maps/n7RunG7vFiK2

I think there is a use-case for landuse=power where it is dedicated land for
passive man-made power features (transmission and non-plant generation), like
most of the larger towers I am mapping.

I think this is an easily defined and easily mappable feature, but not one that
is necessary in many situations - but is useful in some situations to mappers
everywhere.

Javbw.