Here's the tagging I used for the Unalakleet River in western Alaska. Only
the upper reaches of this river are designated Wild and Scenic. The way for
the protected portion is included in a large shapefile I downloaded some
time ago that contains all the Wild &Scenic rivers in the U.S. I invented
the protection_title because it seems so logical but I invite ideas about
this tag and other tagging scenarios. I intend to use this as a model for
the other W&S rivers in Alaska, of which there are probably 15 or 20

name=Unalakleet River
operator=Bureau of Land Management, Anchorage Field Office
protected=perpetuity
protection_title=Wild and Scenic River
related_law=Public Law 96-487 (ANILCA)
scenic=yes
site_ownership=federal
source:position=DigitalGlobe;BLM shapefile
waterway=river
website=http://www.rivers.gov/rivers/unalakleet.php
wikidata=Q763999
wikipedia=en:Unalakleet River

Comments, suggestions?

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 5 February 2018 at 06:11, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It's not clear what The Right Thing might be when
>> a Wild River is mostly embedded within a Wilderness Area
>> (protect_class=1b); it winds up appearing as if the river corridor loses
>> protection as it transits the class 1, but that's surely not the case,
>>

> You wouldn't think so, would you?
>
> You'd think that if the river enters a higher rated protected area, then
> the higher rating would apply to the river as well?
>
> Any idea of how "big" an area the Wild River protection covers? eg is it
> just the water itself / the river banks / "50m" back on each side / a strip
> "1k" wide etc?
>
> Is it possible to add the =protected tag to the waterway itself, or draw a
> long skinny box along the protected length of the river concerned, stopping
> as it enters a class 1 park then re-starting on the other side - pretty
> time-consuming though :-(

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand