I independently reached a conclusion similar to Jo's. No need for a
separate tag; the difference is made clear when you look at whether it's a
node, way or area. And there are lots of optional tags to indicate
structural elements like benches, shelters, tactile pavement, etc.

I don't usually go beyond platform nodes, but if others have tagged
wait-point ways/areas as public_transport=platform (or highway=platform, or
even highway=pedestrian), I let them be.

The conclusion I'm reaching (for bus routes, anyhow) is that only platform
nodes should be included in the relations (along with the ways that
comprise the routes). In particular, platforms that are ways or areas
should not be included in the relations, nor should stop positions. (All of
these could be included in stop area relations.)

This implies the following changes to v2:

1) every platform node should have mandatory {mode}=yes tag(s)
2) stop_positions should be optional on the map and should not be included
in the route relations

I'm inclined to agree with the wiki that the v1 tags on nodes should remain
(including the two million highway=bus_stop tags).

I don't really see a big advantage in changing the value of the v2 tag from
public_transport=platform to something like public_transport=wait_area (and
there are about one million public_transport=platform tags at the moment).

John