On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 7:04 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree that waterway=river and route=ferry are incorrect and that
> route=ferry is slightly less so <g>.

If you register your canoe as a merchant vessel and pay yourself for the
trip, it's a ferry!

> But do you mean the untagged ways should be tagged with route=canoe as
> someone else suggested, or that the entire relation should be tagged that
> way?

Both.  Route=ferry is used on ways (and renders).  The individual ways are
gathered into relations.  Currently
your route=canoe relation has footpaths and untagged ways.  I think (I
could be wrong) that it should consist of
footpaths and ways tagged with route=canoe.

Try it and see what happens.  Probably nothing, but at least it makes a
little more sense when interpreting the
relation: "footpath, canoe route, footpath, canoe route" rather than
"footpath, unknown, footpath, unknown."  If it's
valid to use route=ferry for ways on open water (it is) then it's almost as
valid to use route=canoe for ways on open
water.  Slightly less valid because route=ferry is documented
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:route
but route=canoe is not, however that page says "If used on ways, route
describes a route which is not linked
to a physical object like streets or rails. This applies for [...] ships on
open water [...] airplanes."

So it's valid.  Might not be rendered (yet) but valid.  Or, at the very
minimum, not obviously wrong.

--
Paul