On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:09 AM Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2018-08-09 08:45, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
> sent from a phone
>
> On 9. Aug 2018, at 07:17, Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The name field is just a label. If you want to know the exact name in
> a certain language you look at the name:xx field.
>

> the question is about the "name in the local language".
>
> Is it not about the "name as signed in situ"? (Cf. "on-the-ground trumps
> everything else" rule)
>
> In the case of Brussels, are all signs "fr - nl" or are some "nl - fr" ?
>
> Also many bilingual street signs in Belgium exploit grammatical differences
> between French and Dutch; where the significant part is a proper name (X), in
> French it might be "Rue X", in Dutch it is "Xstraat", so the sign says Rue
> X-straat.

That's true and I always wondered why the community didn't take that
approach. Map what is on the sign. But it is very well possible that 2
signs for the same street use different ways of combining French and
Dutch.

I think I have seen some signs of paths in the Zoniƫnwoud where they
use the full Dutch and French name and Dutch was in front. The were
not the regular street name signs as in the example you gave.

But anyway, the OP's question was for greater, world-wide consistency.
Using the contraction mechanism used in Brussels will not accomplish
that.