On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I am saying that street signs are just indications of names. Names for
> streets are usually (at least in Italy and Germany) assigned by the city
> council,

Assigned by the county council here in the UK (I'm simplifying a little
because some towns are unitary
authorities).

> it is an act of legislation assigning a name (again , at least in these
> countries).

Indeed.  I doubt many people in the UK know it, but you have to apply to
the county council (not the Post Office or
Royal mail, as you might expect) to name your house (or change the existing
name).

> The signs might be ok, but for example in Italy we are used to having
> often shorter names signed with respect to the actual name. Errors in
> street signs are also not unheard of. Signs are an important part of
> reality, but they are not the absolute truth and they are not the only way
> to verify a name (e.g. ask locals, look in the city archive, etc.)

Here the signs are almost always correct.  Because installing the signs is
the task of the county council's highways
department.   Only rarely do things go wrong:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

Signs are an important part of reality, but they are not the absolute truth
> and they are not the only way to verify a name (e.g. ask locals, look in
> the city archive, etc.)

Yes, there are sometimes local names.  That's what loc_name=*, alt_name=*
and old_name=* are for.

If there's a street sign, that's what should be mapped in name=* even if
it's "wrong."  Not temporarily wrong, but
permanently "the council has decreed that's what it is, and that's how it's
going to stay" wrong.  Because if I'm in
a strange location, looking at a map that labels a street "Foo Lane" that's
what I expect to see on the sign.  Anything
else is misleading and unhelpful.

--
Paul