Way 570038402, named "Rute", is certainly different in appearance than the
"tidal channels" / rivers through the mangroves in my area. "Rute" is a
V-shaped channel of deeper water between shoals or tidal mud flats, and the
coast is clearly a long way off. I can see how this shouldn't be labeled as
a river.

The channels between mangroves, however, can look almost the same as a real
river, whether from aerial imagery, when flying over, or from a boat at sea
level. The water flow may reverse with the tide if the river water flow is
slow. The only way to determine if a given channel is a "real" river is to
follow it upstream to the end of mangroves, which may be dozens of
kilometers away, or carefully measure salinity and average current. This
makes it difficult to verify in person or when looking at a limited area in
an editor.

Because of these problem, it's not surprising that many people have been
marking the narrow water channels between mangroves as waterway=river, and
I don't think this will stop happening.

So I would favor a tagging scheme that would allow waterway=river as the
top=level tag. Also, I believe making new top-level tags is discouraged.

What do you all think about using waterway=river & river=tidalchannel for
water channels in mangroves? (I would also suggest adding tidal=yes &
salt=yes to fit with existing tags for describing water bodies such as
tidal rivers and salt lakes)

Or would it be sufficient to use tidal=yes & salt=yes with waterway=river,
without any new tag, for these waterways through the mangroves?

-Joseph Eisenberg in Papua, Indonesia