------ Original Message ------
From: "Joseph Eisenberg" <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Sent: 07/09/2018 04:02:26
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

I've now edited the coastline in the area mentioned. I have now added natural=coastline along all the ways forming the edge of the mangroves and open water. https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/62340975#map=13/-4.9075/137.1762

I have to say that to me this seems wrong. Coastline tags are now on ways forming channels 40m wide and 30km from open ocean. I just don't see that these are "coastlines" .

David

Further west, I moved the administrative boundary off of the coastline of internal waterways, positioning it near the low water line / baseline, because I believe this is closer to the official Indonesian definition for Kabupaten (admin level 6) boundaries, and it no longer creates separate polygons around each patch of mangroves. https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/62344890#map=14/-4.8615/136.8500

This brought up another issue. I did not want to delete the natural=water areas, so I changed them to multipolygons (since I had to break the closed ways to make a proper coastline) and marked salt=yes, removing natural=river from the areas that might better be described as tidal channels. I considered using water=tidal or water=salt, but both of these tags seem to have limited use and an unclear definition; JOSM suggested salt=yes.

But I am uncertain what to do with the waterway=river in the case of tidal channels and the complex connections between rivers in these mangrove areas. A search of taginfo did not find an alternative tag, although river=tidal is in use. I think there should still be a waterway midline for the large tidal channels in the mangroves which can be used by boats or even ships, to help navigation software. (Many of these channels were actually created by flowing river water; the rivers in this area meander strongly and often change the location of the mouth, as can be seen by comparing the current situation to 100 year old Dutch maps)

Perhaps waterway=river with tidal=yes or river=tidal is the best option to prevent tag fragmentation? Or is river=tidal_channel preferable? The problem is determining the direction of water flow when two channels connect. Besides tidal, is there a better tag to imply two-way water flow depending on the tidal cycle?

Joseph

Message: 3