On Sunday 09 September 2018, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

> So I would favor a tagging scheme that would allow waterway=river as
> the top=level tag. Also, I believe making new top-level tags is
> discouraged.

Using waterway=river for something that is definitely not a river would
devalue existing data with this tag by blurring its meaning - i don't
think that is a good idea.

I would probably use waterway=tidal_channel since the term 'creek' which
i think you have correctly identified as the English language term for
this is ambiguous ('creek' as you also say is also used for inland
waterways).  The German term is 'Priel' which is clearer but would be
useless and confusing for those who don't speak German.

Yes, drawing a line between a tidal channel and a river is difficult but
the purpose would be to offer mappers an option in cases where
waterway=river is clearly not correct, not to allow doubt free
decisions in all boundary cases.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/