On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 23:14, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Would "language:en=yes" be enough for the mainland USA? Or
> "language:en=main"; "langauge:en=majority"?

I was wondering the same thing for Australia? The official language is
English so the level 2 (1 ?) admin zone would be tagged language:en=yes

The states would also be en=yes, as that is what is spoken in all the
cities & towns of any size, but when you get down to all the small
Aboriginal & Torres Straight Island communities it all changes

I still would like a way to specify that a language is the native langauge
> of that particular places. I believe many Indonesians would appreciate a
> way to specify that their local language is the main means of communication
> in their village or district, even if Indonesian is the official language,
> for example.
>
> Is there a preferred British English terminology for this?
> language:xx=local; language:xx=native; language:xx=indigenous?

Out of those options, I think I'd go for =local, as the others could have
negative connotations?

I speak with a couple of people on other forums, one who manages the stores
in some of these communities in the Northern Territory & Western Australia,
& the other was Head Nurse in a local hospital, so I'll bounce the question
of them & report back.

Thanks

Graeme