Re: "A default should not require multiple values! It is the single value
to be used in the absence of an explicit value. If you think you need
multiple defaults, see my comment above about different contexts."

The idea is to allow a community to choose 2 languages to be displayed
together as the default language setting, if so desired. If you check out
the Multilingual Names wiki page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names>, there are places
where people choose to standardize the default name=* be a combination of
two languages or two encodings; eg  fr + nl in Brussels, or Arabic + French
in Moroco. If this is going to be adopted by the folks in Belgium, Morocco
etc, there should be the choice of specifying two (or 3) languages, to fit
with their current preference.

I'm not trying to change the way the default name=* tag is used, just
trying to make it more useful by tagging what language is actually being
used in the value for the name key. And I suspect there may be more
communities that will choose this option, to encourage displaying names
both in the local langauge and in the official or national language.

Any thoughts about the best order? Should the language code be in the value
or in the key? As a mapper it doesn't make a difference to me, but I think
it matters to database users.