> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018, 7:52 AM Martin Koppenhoefer, <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I’ve recently used building=fast_food_restaurant
>> but it is not used very often yet.
>>

> Can you care to explain why building=retail is not enough detail? I would
> think that a combination of building=retail + amenity=fast_food (whether on
> the same polygon or on separate polygon + interior node) is already
> sufficient.

if built on purpose, these are clearly a proper category of buildings.
"retail" is a very broad term, an in my opinion there is a sense in
distinguishing shopping malls from department stores, from shops and kiosks
from fast food restaurants, from discount stores.
Some examples of retail buildings:
https://www.galerieslafayette.de/files/2010/04/YS36520-e1492774396711.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f1/Bnkiosk.jpg/1200px-Bnkiosk.jpg
http://www.overtimepaylaws.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/aldi-overtime-pay-lawsuit.jpg
http://cdn.corporate.walmart.com/d9/73/c2342aa64fba8241599cc2d4584e/walmart-supercentre-canada_129858013133613481.JPG
https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/800/1*PXeZCWAmGm3EHPHeWMHsUw.jpeg

It is the mappers deciding which kind of building types they want to
distinguish (and at which detail level), but from my point of view,
basically repeating the landuse values is barely adding information, and I
do believe it is interesting to have the information about more specific
types.

Cheers,
Martin