> On Sep 25, 2018, at 2:15 AM, Tobias Zwick <o...@westnordost.de> wrote:
>
> I find it kind of unfitting to tag those as building=retail because the
> kind of building is almost like a residential one (or like a hotel).

the buildings look like a hotel (or was perhaps a hotel in the past) - but if
it is just a restaurant now, then it is building=retail.

If it is a place where you can rent a private room to sleep, it is a
building=hotel with a commercial landuse, a pin for the hotel, and another pin
for the restaurant  (the lobby restaurant in hotels is usually a separate
mappable place, as it’s purpose, operating hours, and access to the general
public is different than the hotel itself.

there are all kinds of amenities - pubs, restaurants, bed&breakfasts, Ryokans,
fast food shops, etc,  But if they take up the entire building, almost all of
them would fall into building=retail or building=hotel.  you are tagging the
purpose of the building - not it’s design, except in the rarest of cases.

the building=* tag helps define the rough purpose fo the building - but not the
exact purpose. The pin or other tags on the building do that. And that building
looks like it wants to sell food to tourists.  ^_^

I understand the “rest stop” nature of the building - there are similar
buildings in Japan, some larger complexes registered as official “road
stations” often using the nickname "Oasis” with the government, and others that
are merely private businesses that provide a place to sit and relax and enjoy a
coffee - but mapping the small  private businesses that do this as anything
other than a “cafe” or “restaurant” or “convenience store” is very very
difficult without some larger complex with a larger landuse with more
amenities.

http://www.nanmoku.ne.jp/modules/oasis/index.php?content_id=4/
<http://www.nanmoku.ne.jp/modules/oasis/index.php?content_id=4/>

an official “Road station” on a very narrow road in the mountains.

http://michinoeki-shimonita.com <http://michinoeki-shimonita.com/>

A pretty large road station down in the valley.

they are a collection of several shops and amenities - not a single building
with a single purpose.

Javbw