Well, OsmAnd lets you see different categories of buildings in different
colors. I was actually going to try this out in a branch of the standard
style (Openstreetmap Carto) to see if it could help.
Right now the main categories of buildings fit with the areas:
building=retail with landuse=retail
building=office with landuse=commercial
building=school with amenity=school etc

And if restaurants are a type of retail, the building type should be a
subcategory of retail.