Hi,

On 09/26/2018 05:53 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Names in a non-discernible language have so far not been discussed.  I
> would need to see some examples for this to form an opinion on the
> matter.

I am thinking of retail outlets like

"Tesco"

"Real"

"Saturn"

"Tk-Max"

>> Yes. The unified system goes as follows:
>>
>> "If the default language of the smallest admin boundary enclosing
>> your feature is xx, treat any name tag you encounter as if it was a
>> name:xx tag."
>
> That would change the meaning of the name tag which is currently "the
> locally used name or names in some combination" into something
> different.

I disagree. My assumption is currently that a name tag in Germany will
be the German name, and I think for all countries or regions with one
prevalent language this will be everyone's assumption (that if the
region has a default language, the name will be the name in the default
language).

But I am willing to extend my definition:

"If the default language of the smallest admin boundary enclosing
your feature is xx, treat any name tag you encounter as if it was a
name:xx tag, unless an explicit name:xx tag exists."

That should pretty much catch everything and give everyone the
flexibility to map all special cases, while not requiring to re-tag
every single named object all over the planet.

(You will only have to re-tag those objects where the name is in a
language different from the prevalent language in the region, and where
you perceive this to be an issue - as you said yourself, the damage done
by assuming that the "O sole mio" assigned to a pizzeria in Germany is a
German rather than an Italian name, is negligible.)

> I see your point but as said this would defeat the whole purpose of the
> idea

If that is the case, and no workaround can be found because every
workaround would defeat the purpose of the idea, then I would likely
oppose the idea.

I think that generally a more precise recording of languages is
desirable but if this leads to having to duplicate existing name tags
into name:xx for every single named place on earth just in order to "not
defeat the purpose", then I'd like to pass on this idea and wait until a
less intrusive one comes along.

Bye
Frederik