Javbw,
Thanks for the detailed discussion.
I think I agree with you that "take-and-bake" places are a type of
restaurant or fast-food; that's how they are being tagged in the USA.

What do you think about the need for a shop=grocery tag for small shops in
developing countries and specialty grocers in cities?

Are there still small groceries in Japan which sell non-perishable food
items, but would not be properly considerd a shop=convenience,
shop=general, shop=greengrocer or shop=supermarket?

I don't think shop=food is a good idea, but I do think there are shops that
sell groceries but do not really fit in any of those 4 existing categories.
The other option would be to use shop=general for small groceries, because
many of them also sell other nonperishable items, similar to a rural
general store/shop.
But that might lead to some confusion too, and it wouldn't work well for a
shop that specializes in selling Mediterranean groceries or Caribbean
foods, as found in some big cities.

Joseph