I think I found one reason for the mistagged ways. The wiki page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dtraffic_island
proposes to use highway=crossing + crossing=island to map a traffic island.
It says that this should be used on nodes but a mapper looking for a
replacement of a landuse tag might miss that.
It also claims to show numbers from taginfo for this combination, but in
fact it shows the numbers for
just crossing=island:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=crossing&value=island
This tag can be used on ways, together with e.g. footway=crossing, but that
would not be used to map the area of the traffic island.

AFAIK taginfo doesn't allow to ask for tag combinations. No idea if this
occurs on other wiki pages, if so,
it is very misleading.

I think the said wiki page should be changed so that highway=crossing is not
mentioned at all.

Gerd

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html