I haven't seen anyone (recently) who supports your original proposal of
keeping amenity=embassy and adding amenity=consulate. So I believe your
first summary is inaccurate.

Instead what I have seen is suggesting that amenity=diplomatic is possibly
a better fit than office=diplomatic.

So I would suggest dropping the first alternative entirely and modifying
the second to read:

* shift to amenity=diplomatic or office=diplomatic (which one to use has
yet to be decided) and use the existing diplomatic=* additional (secondary)
tag to specify whether embassy, consulate, or other, then use embassy,
consulate, and other (or some other euphemism as yet undetermined) as
additional (tertiary) tags to specify further the type of diplomatic or
non-diplomatic mission as needed.

Cheers,

John