I do like the idea of one key to rule them all. But I am uncomfortable with a
key name which has a negative preface.

At first I wondered about a perennial tag but then the values might be
difficult. Then it occurred that we are trying to tag the presence of
something, in this case water. There are only a few things tagged with
presence=* now [1] and they look unrelated to water. But how about:

presence=perennial/seasonal/intermittent/ephemeral/summer/spring/winter/autumn/
etc.

And state that perennial be the default if untagged.

Cheers!

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/presence#values