You're right, I agree with you that we need to make things clear and that those pages may not be rewrote, because they have been wrote independently, at different point in time, and as soon as you add the issue bringed by translations you can measure how difficult it can be, if one does not master English, to pick the good tag for a given country or make sure translations are aligned. Consequently every input (coming from Wikipedia or from somewhere else) is valuable.

On a separate note, a separate wiki page for comparing places to sleep sounds reasonable, but based on your concerns, I'm not sure what meaningful criteria we could list there other than one based on name=*.

I was thinking on something like https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hiking or https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport : You read it and there you have all concepts related to what you're trying to map. This "Sleeping accomodation" page (or any other appropriate name) would try, in one consolated single place, to route someone to the right tag (hotel, motel, hostel, camping, glamping, shelter, guest house...), maybe also considering some country specific contexts (and concepts foreigners does not know). A kind of "hub". Then, the (already existing) Tag wiki pages would still exist but more focused on the HOW: how to map an hotel, how to map a motel, how to map...

What does other people think? If I have time I can give it a try, but feel free to start it and people will collaborate.

Merry Christmas to everyone, a time to remember how fascinating is the Planet we are trying to map.

Yours,

LeTopographeFou