In Germany my experience is that actually most hotels in the cities charge for parking. On the other hand you find very very few that call themselves "motel". I can only think of one currently that does, and it is located within a motorway rest area. The exception is the chain Motel One which is a very typical _h_otel often located in city centers offering only limited parking.

When I think of a motel I always picture those with doors opening to the car park from US movies. Now that several comments here indicate that the only practical distinction today is the name on the front sign I come to think that we could abandon the tag altogether. What value does it generate for the data consumer if tourism=motel and tourism=hotel is all but the same and practical distinction could for both be made by subtags parking=y/n, parking:fee=y/n, etc?

Tobias