Small addition about this remark:

"What I don't understand is why the highway tag is used to carry the
information. The way you have mapped the trailheads Peter I would leave
them under some subkey of information, e.g. tourism=information +
information=board + board_type=trailhead."

Some people say: it's just the start of the route. Some say: it's basically
just a parking. Some say: it's basically just a sign, a map or a board.

Well, if it's just one of those then you don't need to tag them as
suchthese places combine those things in a marked, designated way, and are
operated and published for the purpose, that makes them worth mapping.

It's the fact that

--
Vr gr Peter Elderson