On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 13:23, Sergio Manzi <s...@smz.it> wrote:

> "*ad hoc*" (for this)  signifies a solution designed for a specific
> problem or task, non-generalizable, and not intended to be able to be
> adapted to other purposes.
>
> "*extempore*" (or more correctly "*ex tempore*", "from the time") means
> something done without preparation or forethought, as if prompted by the
> spirit of the moment.
>
> "*impromptu*", improvisation, has more or less the same meaning as "*ex
> tempore*".
>
> I don't see how how the above could be seen as substitutes for "in use" or
> any other OSM tags status...

Were you here when we discussed landuse=clearing that somebody found used
(presumably
by a HOT mapper)?  Used only a handful of times.  It had not been proposed
and accepted, or
proposed and rejected.  It was not widely used.  It was something that
somebody had made up
on the spot from lack of knowledge about the correct way to deal with it.
The wiki should
probably document and deprecate it, for the benefit of anyone who finds it
on taginfo and
would otherwise assume it to be acceptable.

But there are other de novo tags which don't have existing alternatives,
haven't been through a
proposal process and are not widely used.  "In use" implies fairly wide
usage.  Otherwise
anyone can invent a tag (however silly) use it once and document it in the
wiki as "in use."  I
doubt that is a good way to go.  Nor is leaving such things undocumented
else we're likely
to end up with dozens of alternative tags for the same thing.

--
Paul