On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 13:24, Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or am I missing your point totally?

There's a hierarchy of tag acceptability based upon how much forethought
has gone into it.
Proposed and approved.  Proposed and rejected.  Proposed and lapsed.
Widely used.
Used once or twice.  Used once by somebody who didn't know there was
already an approved tag.
Ideally we document as many of those as possible and indicate how
acceptable they are with the
status.

My point was that "proposed" is not the same as "informal."  Proposing a
tag is part of a formal
discussion process that may lead to acceptance or rejection.  Informal is
me wanting to tag
some type of object, being unable to find a suitable tag (or being too lazy
to look), and just making it
up ad hoc.  As we had with landuse=clearing a while ago.  Which should
probably be documented
as deprecated along with the correct way to do it (multipolygon with an
inner area, maybe without
any other tag if you're unsure what is there other than not-outer).
Informal or ad hoc would be
somebody made up a tag for which there isn't already a better alternative
and it isn't yet in
widespread use.