On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 7:45 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd suggest a slight change of wording to clarify it even further:
>
> "A navigable route in a lake or sea. If the navigable area is marked by buoys
> or navigation markers, it should also be mapped with seamark:type=fairway."
>
> So waterway=fairway applies anywhere, but if it's a "major" (marked) channel,
> then it also gets seamark:type=fairway.

For well-known partially unmarked shipping routes, I think there would
be no problem lifting the requirement of navigation marks. But I'm not
sure if this applies to canoe routes, which are usually not marked.
I'm neither a sailor nor a native English speaker, so I think I'd
better leave this decision to those experienced in marine navigation.

--
Fernando Trebien