On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 14:51, Mark Wagner <mark+...@carnildo.com> wrote:
> > Do you have any locally-defined highway system that approximately
> > matches the idea of "a system of highways that generally connects
> > place=hamlet"?
>
> That would be the state highway system: nearly every incorporated
> community and most of the unincorporated ones are served by at least
> one state highway.  But see the above examples for why calling these
> roads "unclassified" is a bad idea.
>
> (And note that all of the above is only fully applicable for Washington
> State.  Other states will have other systems, though at least in the
> western United States, they don't vary by much.)

Just to add an example to "classification is difficult":

In Ontario, most small communities are _not_ served by a provincial
highway as a result of administrative reorganizations. We have
distinct communities of 10000 people (Uxbridge, Elmira, Smithville to
give a few examples) which are only served by regional roads (third
administrative step, after federal and province).

--Jarek