Hello Mark,

I'm not willing to criticize your contribution, at all, but your preamble,
"/Here in Washington State .../", was food for thought about the fact that
sometimes (/often?/) we are affected by cultural bias here: the definition of
features like highways may differ a lot depending in which part of planet Earth
you happen to live. My (Italian) concept of a residential road is surely
different from yours (US, Washington State), and one of an Indian citizen (/I
travelled a lot in India so maybe I have rough idea about that/), or a Somali
(/never put foot there.../), just to make a couple of examples.

I think those definitions ar much better left to local communities, and so
seems to think "the wiki" too in its incommensurable wisdom: see pages like
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging *or*
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway:International_equivalence *and*
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions

One thing I'm quite sure, anyway, is that "unclassified" should mean just that:
"/it doesn't fall in any other classification OR we don't know cr.p about it
(we know there is a road there, but we don't know how it is)/".

Routing decisions too are culture-dependent. As an example, in India I know of
some residential roads which are perfectly normal roads by daytime, but are
closed to traffic by night time (/but maye there is some other kind of more
specific restriction for tha/t).

Sergio