On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 10:50 -0700, Johnparis wrote:
> direction=clockwise/anticlockwise makes sense for a node (like a
> miniroundabout), not for a way
>
> on a way, the common usage is "oneway=yes" and make sure the way
> (which is by nature directional) is pointing the right direction.
>
> It doesn't make much sense for a hiking route to use "clockwise" (why
> the "cw" abbreviation???) or "anticlockwise" ("ccw" is presumably an
> abbreviation for the American English word "counterclockwise").
> Because those terms only make sense if the route is a closed loop
> that doesn't self-intersect, have branches, or anything complicated.
>
> So "oneway=yes" solves all these cases quite simply. Avoid "oneway=-
> 1" by the way, just use "oneway=yes" and reverse the direction of the
> way if it's wrong.
>
> My two cents (from extensive work on bus routes, not hiking routes).

Although the oneway tag implies a legal restriction, and I doubt it is
illegal to walk a hiking route in the 'wrong' direction.

I am gradually working my way along a local long distance hiking route
and whilst I walk all the sections in order, I do not walk them all in
the same direction as starting at a remote bus stop in the sticks is ok
but not for finishing.

Phil (trigpoint)