The answer to your question is simple. The conretion
of opposite_lane depends on the traffic system you're
in, but cycleway:left and cycleway:right are globally
used tags, not limited to a specific jurisdiction.

In particular, :left and :right suffixes _do not_
depend on the traffic system in use, but rather on
the direction of the osm way (which is defined by
the order of its node list).

Regards,
cmuelle8