a. If the object of the research is just to map deforestation, you only
need to map trees. You also need 100% coverage of all tree areas. You do
not need to map "no landcover".

b. If the object is to map deforestation AND what replaces the trees, you
need to map the replacing landcovers as well, and you need 100% coverage of
those. If there is a landcover other than trees but no detail, a general
landcover is needed. If it is done like that, you do not need to map "no
landcover".

c. If I did a project like this, I would want to map 100% of the target
area, to make sure all areas have been processed. In that case I would want
to map "no landcover" as opposed to "not mapped yet". Alternatively, I
would mark areas with a separate tag as "not yet included in the project".

d. In all cases, other mappers can and will alter the tagging if and when
they see fit.

Vr gr Peter Elderson