> On Apr 30, 2019, at 9:28 PM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Depends?
>
> Warning - my interpretation!
>
> SADDLE = low point between two high points (mountains), it does not descend
> near the level of the adjacent valleys.
>
> PASS =A gap in a range of mountains or hills permitting easier passage from
> one side to the other, it descends near the level of the adjacent valleys.
>
> This gives me a difference between 'pass' and 'saddle',otherwise they appear
> to be the same?
>

> If it were a 'pass' then that would make the range into two separate ways.
> If it is a saddle then it does not break the range, but forms part of it.
>
> Some mountain ranges do not have crest along their entire length .. yet they
> are a mountain range along the entire length.

Hmmm. Then many of the passes, including Donner Pass and Tioga Pass, in
California’s Sierra Nevada are actually saddles?

I’ve assumed that a pass was simply a saddle that was a convenient route for
travel.

Looking at
https://www.vividmaps.com/2018/11/gap-vs-pass-vs-notch-vs-saddle.html
<https://www.vividmaps.com/2018/11/gap-vs-pass-vs-notch-vs-saddle.html> maybe
the difference between pass, saddle, gap and passage - at least in the US - is
mostly a difference in regional dialect. In which case I guess OSM can do its
usual and try to formalize the use and definition of one that most closely
matches UK usage.