On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 5:03 PM Peter Neale via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> > I'm just amused that staying in a trailer park is considered a high end
> > tourism/glamping experience in the UK instead of a cheap form of
> permanent
> > housing.  Granted, my exposure to this phenomenon is limited to this
> thread
> > and Damn Dog Games covering Furcation 2018 on YouTube.
>
> We have to remember that they were characterised as "Luxury" by the people
> trying to sell them at £190,000!  I was not proposing to tag them with
> "quality=luxury" Ha Ha!

I suppose if the alternative is, say, camping in my pickup truck, then
yeah, a mobile home is relatively high end luxury.  But, you know, I mean,
just a quick Google converts that to US$242,000.  For that kind of money, I
could get 2-4 single family homes that exceed local tornado building
codes.  I suppose I should be flattered that rich people consider American
poverty luxury or something, but, that's like, the weirdest possible flex
ever.  I mean, again, I was laughing a bit when Corey Coyote on Damn Dog
Games was saying they were going to a camping con, and it appears to be in
a "vacation resort" that, in America, would be probably most generously
called "a well-maintained blue-collar trailer park", and Corey's reaction
is that (at least from his UK exposure) it is.  Though I'm pretty sure my
MIL has the same floorplan, and well, it's probably generously a $20,000
trailer on a $400/mo space.  Sure, it had a community center and a pool,
but, hey, any relatively decent trailer park that isn't on a floodplain
does.

> I would like to tag them as some form of leisure facility, because they
> are supposed to be used intermittently for weekends / holidays.  However, I
> also understand the idea of "tag what you see".

I'd probably tag the site itself as a caravan site, especially if they let
you bring your own caravan.  The midwestern US seems to have a lot of
trailer parks that have a genuine mix of RVs (caravans) and mobile
homes/manufactured homes.  At least locally, both fall under the category
of vehicles (my MIL's place has a current license plate mounted on the back
as required by state law, even though it hasn't moved in 20 years and I'm
about 85% sure it doesn't have wheels and definitely wouldn't survive
making it to the street, much less down it)

> Out of interest, I looked up the planning permission granted for the site.
> It is for a number of "caravans", which can only be occupied for 11 months
> of the year.  Originally, this was 8 months, but it was later increased.
> One "caravan" (for the site manager) can be occupied all year, but the
> owner is now applying for permission for 9 of them to be occupied all year
> (with no real justification - IMHO)

Honestly if these "caravans" are mobile homes, there's no reason they can't
be occupied until they fall apart.

> It seems that the local community do not want a permanent development
> there, but the owner (selling them at £190,000 per plot, remember) wants to
> turn them from caravans into permanent bungalows.

I'd honestly want to see him pass a 15 panel drug test asking that much.
Especially if he's retaining rights to the land it's on (typical in the US,
you might own the mobile home but the land below it could be an entirely
different story).