Hi Joseph,

Le mar. 4 juin 2019 à 01:55, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
a écrit :

> However, the key "usage=" is also used with railways, eg usage=main,
> usage=branch. This might be considered a problem by some mappers,
> though at least all of the values used for railways are completely
> different than the list of values used for waterways and pipelines.

To me it's not an issue but someone can indeed have different opinion.

> The other issue is that canals or ditches used for both irrigation and
> drainage (depending on the season) would need to be tagged like
> "usage=irrigation;drainage", and a long-distance canal that transmits
> irrigation water might need to be tagged
> "usage=transmission;irrigation"

According to semantics of canals and ditches, a canal can't be used for
drainage and a ditch/drain shouldn't be used for irrigation

Transmission should overcome any other value as it consists in leading
water from source to consumption places for more precise purpose.
We do have same approach with power lines or highway
You won't tag an actual motorway highway=motorway;service;residential for
the reason it leads to residential or service highways at its end.

2) Irrigation=yes

> With this tag, it would be possible to also use "drainage=yes", so a
> canal used for both drainage and irrigation could be "waterway=canal"
> + "irrigation=yes" + "drainage=yes" - this leads to using an extra
> tag, but doesn't require any semicolon-separated values.

This shouldn't occur according to my comment upside.
usage values should not intersect with each others, I think there is no
need of yes/no values for it.

Feel free to give any example where it doesn't work.

All the best

François