The Dutch system of "polders" uses waterways for drainage, transport and
irrigation, but not in a source2target way. Basically, a "polder" is a
bathtub wherein several waterlevels (rings) are maintained through a
network/maze of canals and ditches. When it rains a lot, water is pumped
out of the polders; in dry periods, water is moved into the polders. All
the waterways can drain, transport water/people/goods, and irrigate, as
needed.

I guess we would have mainly waterway=canal and waterway=ditch, and very
few waterway=drain where e.g. an industrial facility drains its wastewater.
usage=* does not have meaning for most of these waterways. Flow direction
vary. You do want to know if it's accessible/allowed for
rowboats/motorboats/canoes.
And maybe if you can cross them with a jumping-pole. Very important in some
areas.

Fr gr Peter Elderson