For me, if none of those tags would already exist, I would say that toll is an infrastructure and shall be put where the toll is  (booths, gates, automatic systems...) whereas fee is an attribute which denote that this amenity/road/ferry is not free to use.

But as of today both are used, so I keep toll for highways and fee for nearly all other things such as toilets, parking...

If I would have to map a ferry road, I would probably be lost also.

LeTopographeFou
De: 61sundow...@gmail.com
Envoyé: 19 juin 2019 12:21 PM
À: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Répondre à: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Objet: Re: [Tagging] paid ferry - fee or toll tag

On 19/06/19 18:24, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
Is there some reason to prefer one of this two keys for tagging whatever ferry is a paid one?
What do the cross channel ferries have for UK to France?

Ha. They don't have a tag on them to indicate that payment is required.
Not done on UK to Spain either...
Not for England to Isle of Man
Not for the Orkney ferries either

Toll for England to Ireland

I feel that toll tag is better as it is part of road structure.

The wiki says either toll or fee. So use what you like.

For recreational cruises fee may fit better but tagging it as route=ferry is
tagging for renderer anyway.

As far as popularity in data goes - both tags have at this moment basically the same popularity.