sent from a phone

On 4. Aug 2019, at 16:50, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

>> Residential roads are the roads inside the residential area, which are
>> not used by through traffic
>
> Where do you take this assumption from? I have never heard before that
> residential may not be used for through traffic?

sorry, I was not precise, what I meant to say was that residential roads are
not intended for through traffic. According to the context (e.g. oneway and
dead end, or a grid) you may be able to “bypass the main traffic” and be faster
(when the principal road is congested), but you are not supposed to do it, and
it will usually be slower (slower speeds, pedestrians, no right of way at
crossings, penalized at traffic lights etc.). Or in another context it will not
be possible to go “through” a residential area, you can only enter and leave
“at the same side”.

You may sometimes/often be able to go through the residential area on
residential streets, but it doesn’t make them roads for through traffic. The
roads for through traffic are usually tagged with tertiary+, minor ones with
unclassified, so they can’t be residential ;-)

> The opposite is described in highway=residential:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dresidential
>
>    This tag is used for roads accessing or around residential areas.

Maybe I don’t understand the word “access” correctly here, but if I think about
an access road to a residential area, it would be different from the
residential roads in the area. I would suggest to clarify this in the wiki
(remove access or illustrate what it means).

Anyway, this is the result of an edit from February this year, where the
long-standing definition was changed by removing this:
but which are not a classified or unclassified highways.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dresidential&type=revision&diff=1789326&oldid=1526745

this should be reverted, and I would be glad if someone did it now, because I
cannot do it myself at the moment. Thank you.

Cheers Martin