On 12/08/19 15:38, Peter Elderson wrote:
That would be for the Australian mapping community to decide, to document and to implement.

There is already some guidance for Australian roads https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Road_Tagging

And not to forget the East African guide https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/East_Africa_Tagging_Guidelines#Road_classification

Mvg Peter Elderson

Op 11 aug. 2019 om 23:08 heeft Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com <mailto:graemefi...@gmail.com>> het volgende geschreven:

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 05:04, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org <mailto:ba...@ursamundi.org>> wrote:

    On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Peter Elderson
    <pelder...@gmail.com <mailto:pelder...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        I'm sure the hierarchy
        trunk/primary/secondary/tertiary/<something_else>/residential
        with a side of service types is general enough that all
        countries can map their own system to it. I feel no need to
        force any country's own system upon any other country, or to
        make it the same all over the world.

    I largely agree.  I wouldn't mind country-specific values similar
    to the advantage that the UK has on this as previously stated,
    then let the wiki work out what counts as largely equivalent in
    character for the renderers to work with.  I feel like that would
    help a lot on the front and back end of it.

So how do you go about setting country-specific values?

In Australia, it's not uncommon for a Primary (& in some cases, Trunk!) road to be a single lane dirt road!, & it would be nice to be able to show them with the importance that they are to local residents of that area.

Is it simply a matter of specifying road types under the "Australia" page & hoping that people read them?

Thanks

Graeme