I don't think this is good mapping. Firstly, this is not a route. A route
is something that gets you from one place to another. This is a network of
routes, and there is a tag for it, type=network[1] But this type of a
relation breaks the "Relations are not Categories" rule [2]. That's why I
think this network relation should be broken up into route relations with
the appropriate network tag.

If this is allowed, then what stops someone from making a "Bicycle routes
in Germany" relation ?

[1] - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:network
[2] -
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Relations_are_not_Categories