On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 18:14, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> In general, I don't think the definition of OSM keys should
> automatically duplicate all nuances of the English dictionary,
> especially ones that many non-native speakers will be unaware of.

It isn't a nuance of one English dictionary. I've checked definitions
of a sidewalk in a few other languages (German, French, Spanish,
Italian, Serbo-Croatian, Swedish, Chinese and Japanese) – they mention
either that a sidewalk is raised [1][2][3][4][5], usually raised [6],
usually about 10 cm raised [7] or structurally divided from the
roadway [8].

Besides, the US Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) differentiates
between sidewalks, pedestrian lanes and shoulders [9]:

"Sidewalks are physically separated from the roadway by a curb or
unpaved buffer space." [9, p. 82]

"Pedestrian lanes provide interim or temporary pedestrian
accommodation on roadways lacking sidewalks. They are not intended to
be an alternative to sidewalks and often will fill short gaps between
other higher quality facilities." [9, p. 102].

[1]: https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Buergersteig
[2]: https://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/trottoir/79993
[3]:
https://www.dizionario-italiano.it/dizionario-italiano.php?parola=marciapiede