On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 13:35, Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

> The point is that people (as i have sent in the example) currently see
> the only difference to be that a mini_roundabout can be traversed in the
> center.

No, they say that is ONE of the defining characteristics.  They have also
pointed you at
documentation fully describing mini roundabouts as implemented in the UK.
Perhaps
that was thttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout#Mini-roundaboutsoo much
for you to read, so here is a briefer description:

So - as in my example - somebody changed a clear roundabout to
> a mini_roundabout with 7 exits just because its flat in the middle.
> And they expect to get the same navaids.
>
> So either - their understanding is wrong, the documentation is unclear
> or there is no differentiation which is proper.

Their understanding is probably wrong (without seeing it I can't tell) and
the documentation
is unclear.  The documentation you were previously pointed at, plus the
link I just gave, both
make it very, very clear that there is a distinction.

A question which arises for me now - Why is it called roundabout
> when there is no roundabout - when its just a junction.

Because it IS a roundabout.  A roundabout that routers can treat as a
junction to save
a lot of preprocessing and for which drivers (in the UK) are perfectly
capable of
understanding junction-type turn instructions.

I'd expect a roundabout (either mini or not) to produce nav aids
> in the format of "take the n.th exit" not something "left at the next
> junction"

That is a language/cultural/experience difference.  You say you've never
driven
at a mini roundabout.  If you had, you might accept that "turn right" works
as
well as, or even better, than "take the third exit."  At large roundabouts
you may
not have clear visibility of all the exits in order to see which one is the
right turn.
Some roundabouts have trees: https://goo.gl/maps/wmoA71gGUGrNTAH18

> From the document you mention i have the feeling that that is a British
> special. We dont have anything like that in the German StVO - Either
> its a Roundabout sign (Zeichen 215) or not. No differentiation whether
> the center may be traversed (Except that if you do unneeded you get a
> ticket)

If your country doesn't have mini roundabouts then don't map roundabouts as
mini roundabouts.  It's not just about traversability, size or number of
exits,
it's about signage and laws.  In the UK a mini roundabout is signed as such
and has specific legal differences from an ordinary roundabout.

--
Paul