> I think there is a need for a basic relation, ... to simply associate the two
> lines ... When mapped, they are not joined

The easiest way to do this is to make an area which represents the
area of the cliff, embankment, dyke (levee) or whatnot.

Have it use the same nodes as the upper and lower ways in the case of
a cliff or one-sided embankment.

For a levee it can just go around the whole levee, in which case it
may not be necessary to map the edges with some other tag. The central
way with man_made=dyke will be associated with the area because it
will be entirely inside of it. (This would also work for cuttings or
railway embankments with two sides, if you want to map them as a
single area).

You can use a relation of type=multipolygon for this, as with any
area, but a closed way works just as well in most cases, and is
probably easier to map and maintain.

This is better than creating a new type of relation, and provides all
the information that a database user might want.

(But again, please consider that places like Tokyo have very high
quality Digital Elevation Models available, now often based on laser
readings which are accurate within decimeters, so if the goal is to
create a 3D map of the surface or contour lines or shading for a map,
this is not really necessary.)

- Joseph Eisenberg