I have some doubts about the need to link the feature to the relation. The
node is already in or possibly very near the route, and the feature could
be tagged, displayed and routed as a type of POI.

But, if entered into a route relation, role checkpoint sounds ok to me.
Then it could be displayed with an icon even if not tagged.

Fr gr Peter Elderson