Jmapb <jm...@gmx.com>:

> On 12/8/2019 6:44 PM, Peter Elderson wrote:
>

> > Could you envision a node passed by two hikes, and being a checkpoint
> > for the one and nothing special for the other?
>
> Camino de Santiago ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/153968 )
> comes to mind. Hikers doing the whole route carry passports that are
> stamped at checkpoints along the way, to document completion of the
> route. Hikers not attempting to complete the whole route probably
> wouldn't have the passport and wouldn't bother with the checkpoints.

I have walked many "Camino" sections in Italy. The "checkpoints" are just
stamps, you can get them at many shops, hotels, restaurants, tourist info
points and the like on the way. They will stamp anything for anyone who
asks. There is no register, nothing is checked. I would not call them
checkpoints and I would certainly not attempt to map them. In Nederland, I
don't know about shops, hotels and restaurants.
On the other hand, there are special places like convents and some churches
where pilgrims can stay the night and eat very cheap or free. They would
check and maybe register the pilgrim's passport, I guess. These points
would merit rendering and routing, I think. I don't know if it helps to tie
it to a particular route though. It's a POI passed by one or more routes.
The map can show it, routers can use it and it can be exported in a gpx or
kml.

It's one of those things I would not map unless I can be reasonably sure it
will be maintained and used for actual rendering, routing and/or export.