True! I have seen a few educational or theme routes that way.  In that case
it's meant to be a roundtrip, or you make a roundtrip using the same way
back by necessity.
Regular linear hikes are not meant to be used as roundtrips, though you
could go back the same way of course.

I would use roundtrip=yes only for routes designed for roundtrips. Which
can encompass a lot of geographical layouts, even single chain linear
routes as illustrated by your example. A closed_loop would automatically
qualify as a roundtrip, I think, but I trust someone will come up with an
exception!

Fr gr Peter Elderson