On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 4:37 PM Jmapb <jm...@gmx.com> wrote:
> When I draw a highway=cycleway using the JOSM preset, it offers the
> option to tag it with foot=yes/no/dedicated. Likewise, when I draw a
> highway=footway, it offers bicycle=yes/no/dedicated. I can't say how
> long it's been there because I don't generally use the presets. J

Be that as it may, there are a great many  `highway=path` objects
where the intent was `combined foot- and cycleway`. The concept that a
`footway` is urban while a `path` represents something more like a
wilderness trail is a rather new one to me. (I'm not saying that it's
new to the community. I may have been misinformed. Many other mappers
were similarly misinformed. Moreover, I've tagged some `footway`
objects that _are_ wilderness trails, as well as urban `path` objects,
and that, too, seems to match local practice.)

Given the large number of objects that are mistagged under the
understanding being proffered, it strikes me that the ship has sailed.
Since `surface=*` and `width=*` are available, they are likely to be
the only reliable way to disambiguate a paved footway from a dirt
hiking trail, or a paved doubletrack from a MTB trail.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin