On 1/27/2020 3:53 PM, Andrew Davidson wrote:
The same user also changed the Australian tagging guidelines without
discussion, which we didn't notice till last October:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2019-October/013009.html

and they were reverted. Didn't notice at the time that he'd also
edited the parent page.

    My own impression over the years has been that mappers use
    highway=cycleway on anything that primarily for bicycle traffic,
    and add
    access keys for any other permitted traffic. Similarly for
    highway=footway. So "highway=cycleway + foot=yes" and
    "highway=footway +
    bicycle=designated" are quite common.

Using cycleway/footway to map primary/secondary paths is a informal
but common practice.

    Is there a general consensus that
    these are better mapped as highway=path?

 I had a go at summarising the case against path back in October:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2019-October/013017.html

Thanks for the background. Looks like Richard Fairhurst already reverted
the "shared foot/bicycle must be path" assertion on the cycleway=* page. J