On 27/01/2020 15:36, Jmapb wrote:
My own impression over the years has been that mappers use
highway=cycleway on anything that primarily for bicycle traffic, and add
access keys for any other permitted traffic. Similarly for
highway=footway. So "highway=cycleway + foot=yes" and "highway=footway +
bicycle=designated" are quite common. Is there a general consensus that
these are better mapped as highway=path?

I tag any path which is designated for bicycle usage as highway=cycleway. I then add foot=designated, segregated=* if it is a shared use path (The vast majority of cases in the UK)

There's a misconception by some in OSM the highway=cycleway interprets as bicycles bicycle riders as having priority. This is not the case. I believe this misconception led to the path tag being created. AFAIK no major renderers distinguish the path tag. Some have actively discouraged it. I agree with them

DaveF